Monday, February 18, 2019

How Sweet it is: Local Hive Honey

Winter greens with honey

A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, but a spoonful of honey imparts a unique flavor. I recently sampled Local Hive from Rice's Honey.

Local hive honey
This company sells 17 varieties of raw, unfiltered honey from around the United States. I tasted both the Northeast and New England honeys, known for their bold flavor. I mean, Brooklyn, right? And Boston - we make ourselves heard.

I used the Local Hive honey is a winter salad of hearty greens , where the sweetness balanced the bitter.

Winter Salad:

I bunch Swiss chard, leaves only
1 small head radicchio
1/4 pound Brussels sprouts, cut in half, sprinkled with olive oil and salt and roasted at 450 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, until slightly charred
1/4 C kimchi

Dressing

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon kimchi juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Loca Hive varieties

Chop Swiss chard leaves and radicchio into ribbons. Slice Brussels sprouts into silvers and chop kimchi. Put in all in a salad bowl.

Whisk together all dressing ingredients and pour over greens. Toss to combine.

Note: I was given 2 bottles of Local Hive honey. I was not otherwise compensated.

1 comment: