Thursday, March 22, 2018

Passover Prep: Beet Vodka Cocktail Recipe


A glass of beet vodka

When I was younger, I maintained that vodka was kosher for Passover. It's made from potatoes, so it had to be ok.

Of course, unless a product is actually certified kosher for Passover, it is not ok.

Enter Lvov vodka, certified kosher for Passover. And made from beets.

Beets have always had a place at my Passover table. Instead of a roasted shank bone, I used the vegetarian alternative, a roasted beet.

Vodka, a neutral spirit, has no flavor, so I detected no earthy beet notes in the vodka. But I thought it would be great to infuse the vodka with beets, which would give it a bit of flavor and vibrant color.
Beet vodka for Passover, or any time

Beet vodka

1 750 ml bottle of vodka
2 beets, scrubbed, but not peeled

Cook the beets in boiling water until soft, about 1 hour.

Peel, slice and put in a large mason jar. Fill with vodka and refrigerate.

After a week, the vodka will be deep red. Strain out the beets and keep vodka in the refrigerator (or freezer if you want to do shots).

Pink lemons
Lvov vodka, made in Poland, can also be used in regular old vodka martinis.

Beet vodka cocktail 

1/2 ounce ginger syrup (recipe below)
1/2 ounce lemon juice (I used pink lemons, which had pretty skin, but no special flesh color)
2 ounces beet vodka
1 slice pickled beet
1 spear cucumber
fresh horseradish (optional)

Fill a shaker with ice. Add the ginger syrup, lemon juice and beet vodka. Shake till cold, then strain into a martini glass.
Garnish with pickled beet and cucumber. Grate some fresh horseradish on top, if desired.

L'Chaim

Ginger syrup

1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
3 slices of fresh ginger, peeled.

Place everything in a small saucepan. Heat until sugar dissolves.  Cool and refrigerate. Keeps for about 2 weeks

Note, I was given a sample bottle of Lvov vodka. Opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you again for all the knowledge u distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards,
    vodka drinks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super option with what you have described here, that's what I was looking for, really helped me.
    independent bottler single malt

    ReplyDelete