Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Driving Me Crazy: My Daughter's Song Choices

U2 on Sirius XM!
It's funny how quickly you get used to something that you never knew existed. WiFi in the car? Great when we drove a Chevy Silverado but then we missed it in the otherwise luxe Kia K900.

So we were shocked - shocked - when the tricked out Ford Expedition we took on a road trip didn't have Sirius XM. Oh, it had the preview stations, but I like to listen to my 70s & 80s Next Wave station. Elvis Costello, The Kinks, Joe Jackson...

We listened to a few radio stations, but the commercials are so annoying and the reception was spotty. Then we plugged my daughter's iPhone in and she controlled the tunes.

I don't know how it happened that we raised a kid in the city and she likes country music. Not exclusively - she also likes pop, Bruce Springsteen and U2. But she's on this country music kick right now.

I guess it's preferable to her addiction to Music Together as a toddler, or her obsession with Broadway show tunes, ages 3-11. And I like Broadway music, just not the pained moaning when my husband sings along.

This was one of our last trips with our teen daughter - we were returning to a college for admitted students day, and soon we will be driving an empty car to visit her. So I guess listening to country music for a few hours is a small price to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment