Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bobby Flay Makes a Mayo Convert


As a kid, I hated tuna, egg and pasta salad and it wasn’t until I was older that I realized what I really hated was mayonnaise. I started eating tuna in college, when the vegetarian line had dishes like rice and mushrooms for the main course. I also hated mushrooms. (though I now love them) and rice really wasn't much of a dinner. I figured the tuna was good for protein, and I mixed it with plain yogurt and mustard.

Fast forward 30 years. My kids eat tuna ‘my way,’ though they prefer it with mayo, and they also like egg salad. I still don’t like hard boiled eggs, but since egg salad is a good way to cram some protein in a vegetarian, I decided to make some.

Turns out, just about every egg salad recipe contains mayonnaise. I had to buy my first ever jar. Coincidentally, I got invited to a cooking demo with Bobby Flay, where he made three dishes featuring Hellman’s mayonnaise.

First, he made chicken gyros, then he made egg salad –with turkey bacon. Coulnd’t try either. Then he made mini fish tacos, with tuna stuffed into corn chips. Delicious, even with the mayo.

Maybe I didn’t really hate mayonnaise all these years?

At the Hellmann’s Page on Facebook you can create a virtual sandwich and share it with a friend; Hellman’s will make a donation to Share Our Strength for each sandwich made and shared.

MINI FISH TACOS

A Bobby Flay Recipe

2 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 4 minutes

1/2 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise

1/2 cup prepared salsa

1 Tbsp. lime juice

1 can (6 oz.) tuna, drained and flaked

1 large green onion, thinly sliced

12 large corn tortilla chips

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 3 oz.)

Combine Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise, salsa and lime juice in medium bowl; reserve 1/2 cup. Stir tuna and green onion into remaining mayonnaise mixture just until combined. Season, if desired, with salt and pepper.

Arrange chips on baking pan. Top with tuna mixture, then sprinkle with cheese. Broil 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Dollop with reserved mayonnaise mixture. Garnish, if desired, with additional green onions.

Or serve cold, without the cheese, in corn scoop chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment